Sunday, November 18, 2012

Interlude

Two Hundred Eleven


Artist - John Coltrane
Album - Coltrane
Released - 1957
Label - Prestige Records
Genre - Jazz

Tracks:
Side 1
Bakai
Violets For Your Furs
Time Was
Side 2
Straight Street
While My Lady Sleeps
Chronic Blues

The debut album by John Coltrane, Coltrane is golden.  Jazz is one of my favorite genres of music and I honestly wish I knew more about it, but when I listen to this record, I stop and pause and open my mind to the thought of relaxation.  Lying on your bed, with your eyes closed and listening to the saxophone wind   you down.  Even the more upbeat tracks have a nice sound on the ears.  I just absolutely love John Coltrane and I don't think I've come across one record or song of his I did not like.

Bakai (which means "cry" in Arabic), by Cal Massey, opens side one.  Its handsome minor theme is expounded by Red Garland, Coltrane (who really cries) and Shihab.  The rest of side one is handled by the quartet featuring Trane and Red.  Two ballad standards, Violen For Your Furs and Time Was are the subjects; the former receives a sensitive ballad treatment while the latter is done in bright medium time.  Side two opens on Straight Street, a Coltrane composition and arrangement which features solos by the leader, Johnnie Splawn and Mal Waldron.  An intensely different Coltrane interpretation of the seldom done While My Lady Sleeps is Trane's also until Splawn joins him for a final eerie note.  Trane's Chronic Blues is the closer and gives the horns and Waldron solo room.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment