Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Double Whammy

Thirty-first and Thirty-Second pick.  I'm doubling up today because I was traveling yesterday (the only exception in my book relating to my goal of daily postings).  I tried to be on top of my picks, but this just threw me off for a loop because I thought I was going to be home early enough to listen to a record and write a review.  Turns out I had a 2 hour layover in Los Angeles from Seattle and didn't end up getting home until 11:30 p.m. which quickly turned into almost 1am when I finished unpacking.  That being said, here is the DOUBLE WHAMMY:

Thirty-First
Artist - Santigold
Album - Master of Make Believe
Released - 2012
Label - Atlantic Records
Genre - Electronic, Dub, Reggae, Hip Hop

Tracks:
Side A
Go
Disparate Youth
God From the Machine
Fame
Freak Like Me
Side B
This Isn't Our Parade
The Riot's Gone
Pirate in the Water
The Keepers
Look at These Hoes
Big Mouth


Thirty-Second
Artist - This is a compilation album with numerous artists and songs.
Album - First Sessions 1949/50
Label - Prestige
Genre - Jazz, Swing


I would begin to start talking about both albums individually, but why make it difficult for you, the lovely readers I have acquired through the lovely waves of the internet.  I will begin with Santigold, an artist I started listening to a few years before I moved to Austin.  Actually, a student worker at the law school turned me on to her.  Well to be quite honest, I was listening to Santigold and when I would talk about music (because that's what I do, talk to people about music) to the student worker we had, she was so happy I knew of her.  That makes my day.  People have their thing, but music is mine and when I can turn someone onto something they haven't listened to, it makes me happy.

These two albums are very different in a sense, but very much the same.  The reason why I say the same is because music from the 40s, 50s, 60s have inspired what we hear today.








No comments:

Post a Comment