Friday, May 18, 2012

In Vacation Mode


Since I am currently en route, heading to the lovely city of Seattle, I decided to make this post simply about Mr. Seattle himself.  Here it is, my twenty-seventh:



Artist – Nirvana
Album – Bleach
Released – 1989
Label – Sup Pop

Tracks:
Blew
Floyd The Barber
About A Girl
School
Love Buzz
Paper Cuts
Negative Creep
Scoff
Swap Meet
Mr. Moustache

Nirvana is a band that gained much success in 1992 after their 2nd record, Nevermind, changed the face of music as we know it today.  They are labeled one of the best musical groups of all time, and then shortly after, their lead singer, Kurt Cobain, killed himself with a shotgun wound to the head.  Before all the hype, glitz and notoriety, in 1989, Nirvana released their debut album, Bleach.  As a huge Nirvana fan, I would have to say that not a lot of people are very familiar with this album as much as the other two albums that had mainstream success, but by far, this is my favorite records (next to In Utero).  It wasn’t until after the success of Nevermind that Bleach was re-released on Geffen Records., which it was originally released on Sub Pop.  When first debuted, it received great reviews by critics, but did not do well in the United States.

When I first bought my guitar, About a Girl was one of the first songs I learned, so imagine how many times I had to hear that song to perfect it, as Kurt Cobain himself did.  It was obvious, with a title so to the point, About A Girl was about Kurt Cobain’s relationship with his ex-girlfriend.  As you continue to listen to each song on this record, you can hear the heavy sound of guitar that almost sounds as if this record was intended to be a deep, heavy metal record.  Kurt Cobain was inspired by The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and other artists on how he wanted this record to be perceived.   Most of these songs were based on his life and the experiences he went through.  During numerous interviews, when asked about this album, he admitted to just writing about whatever he thought, which are exactly what you would expect.

Another biased summarization of this record, since I am a fan of Nirvana and everything that came to be about the music that forever changed the world.  Getting to know more about Kurt Cobain as a person, through reading his biography, I believe he was a very talented musician with a lot of deep seeded issues.  All in all, this is a great record and since I’m heading over to what was once labeled the GRUNGE CAPITAL, I thought this would be a good ode to Seattle.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment