Monday, May 7, 2012

Food for thought

As I sit here and consume this wonder meal Kevin made, I am listening to my seventeenth pick.  This is classic rock at it's greatest, but to be more accurate on the typical genre of The Doors, I would have to say it is more psychedelic rock.  Without further ado...



Artist - The Doors
Album - The Doors
Released - 1967
Label - Elektra Records


Tracks:
Side One
1. Break On Through (To The Other Side)
2. Soul Kitchen
3. The Crystal Ship
4. Twentieth Century Fox
5. Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)
6. Light My Fire
Side Two
1. Back Door Man
2. I Looked At You
3. End of the Night
4. Take It As It Comes
5. The End

There is nothing like a stormy, windy night with The Doors playing.  Forming in 1965 and hailing from Los Angeles, California, The Doors came and went, but their music lived on.  I remember seeing the movie with Meg Ryan and Val Kilmer (The Doors, 1991) when I was younger and thinking, "What's going on here?"  I was a curious little girl and asked a lot of question.  It wasn't until I was older that I figured out Jim Morrison's character was pretty much wasted on drugs the whole time.  It's a shame because this is one of their best records, maybe even one of the best records of all time.  These songs define the late 60's and The Doors gathered an extreme following, worshiping Jim Morrison, their poet, the Lizard King. Light My Fire became a huge success for The Doors, especially with that wonderful organ-like intro coming from their VOX Continental (yes, I had to look that up). After the death of Jim Morrison, The Doors disbanded in 1971.  Break On Through (To The Other Side) was another hit for The Doors and after this record, they made 9 records, many going platinum and gold.

Listen to this record, pour yourself a glass of wine or a cocktail and relax.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment