Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Feed the Animals

My nineteenth pick goes to show you that good music never dies!


Artist - The Beach Boys
Album - Pet Sounds
Released - 1966
Label - Capitol Records
Produced by Brian Wilson


Tracks:
Side One
Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B
Side Two
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline No

One of the most influential records in the history of popular music.  That is a FACT (in my opinion of course)!! I remember first hearing The Beach Boys when I was a kid, watching Full House (since John Stamos' character was obsessed with them) and Flight of the Navigator.  There are so many good songs on this album and the harmonies of each member of The Beach Boys make it that much better.

Listening to this album makes you think of all the musical artists that were inspired by The Beach Boys and Pet Sounds.  This being their 11th album (yes, they formed in 1961 and this is their 11th album), they introduced a surfer type style to music using different types of instruments and sounds, such as the electro-theremin, which is an AWESOME PIECE OF EQUIPMENT!

It's hard to believe that this album is 46 years old.  I can't even believe it.  When you listen to Wouldn't It Be Nice, the lyrics are so sweet and loving (Happy times together we've been spending\I wish that kiss was never ending\wouldn't it be nice).  Another great song that is so melodic and soft is God Only Knows.  The ultimate love song you can probably ever think of.  This is, by far, definitely a top 10 album in my collection.  Pet Sounds is one of those records you can play and just enjoy to the very end.  It's hard to think that there are people out in this world that do not like The Beach Boys.  I think no matter how much you dislike them, you have to respect their longevity in the music industry and the influence they even have on today's music.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment